A Doula is a non-medical assistant in prenatal care, childbirth and during the postpartum period. The word Doula is Greek and refers to a woman who personally serves another woman. Doulas are trained support persons who attend to the emotional and physical comfort needs of pregnant, laboring women and those who recently gave birth. They DO NOT do clinical tasks such as heart rate checks, or vaginal exams, but rather use massage, aromatherapy, positioning suggestions, etc, to help labor progress as efficiently as possible.
My primary field is as a Licensed Massage Therapist, however I am certified as a Doula as well. At this time, I offer the following services under umbrella of Doula Services:
- Fertility Massage
- Scar Tissue Release - In the Doula Services, This pertains to working with any abdominal scarring including endometriosis as well as surgical scars, and helping to heal more efficiently in the event that surgeries are necessary during pregnancy.
- Prenatal Massage
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage
- Client Education
- Preparedness Education for Mom-to-Be and Dad-to-Be
- Breathing and Relaxation Coaching
- Exercise & Nutritional Information
- Aromatherapy Information for Pregnancy
- Postnatal Massage
- Scar Tissue Release
- Fertility Massage - To help the body return to a state of normalcy
- Cellulite Massage - For those who want to address that issue
- Client Education
- Breastfeeding Education
- Nutritional and Exercise Information
- Recovery Education
- Aromatherapy Education for use with Baby and Breastfeeding
- Red Tent Services - Community Pot-luck Mentorship, Fellowship, and Self Serve Spa Night - Currently Red Tent Services are on HOLD but will resume soon.
At this time I do NOT offer Labor Doula services and do not intend on offering that service in the future. I do however network with other Doulas in the area who will attend births and help as a Labor Doula fulfilling that need on a case by case basis.